Thursday 19 July 2012

I'M DREAMING OF A CHOCOLATE-COVERED CHRISTMAS.....IN JULY!


I  know it’s only July, but I’ve got visions of sugar plums dancing in my head……actually I have my awesome peanut butter cherry bon bons dancing in my head! J
The reason being is that I’ve discovered some really neat recipes in the last few weeks whilst pinning away on Pinterest.
On one pin, I saw a recipe for Chocolate-chip Cookie Dough Truffles.  I saw that they had some similar ingredients as my pb bon bons and started thinking about how I could make these instead of my traditional ones. My bon bons are fairly high in calories and one year I didn’t make them because I figured we needed to eat healthier even at Christmas…….the tribe revolted so I’ve continued to make the bon bons.
The pin came from a site called Chocolate-Covered Katie (http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/ ). Katie has a ton of great recipes but the Chocolate-chip Cookie Dough Truffles caught my attention!
So I got the processor out and started making them. I did omit the sugar though because the chocolate chips made them sweet enough and if you want to make them chocolate covered you really don’t need as much of the sugar. You could also substitute the sugar for a bit of stevia or agave nectar which will again save you a few more calories.
I did a taste test to see how they were before I formed them into balls and they were great without the sugar! I was actually able to make 9 from Katie’s recipe as I made them the same size as my bon bons. I didn’t put a cherry in the middle but even if I did, you use less of the dough to make them the same size. I did make nine but ate one before I took the pic :-)
So now I have to keep my secret “mum” and see if anyone notices that the bon bons are a little different this Christmas!
Happy and healthy eating everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment