Thursday 13 October 2011

"THAT" word!

If I hear the "f" word one more time I'm going to throttle the person!!!!  I have had this "word" used on my fb by friends who think it's "amusing", a desk clerk at a resort who was telling my hubby and me about something that didn't merit the "word", staff at the TO airport (not a surprise there), many a passer-by on the street, line ups at the grocery store AND the list could go on.
I have a friend who's neighbour uses it on a frequent basis, outside in his yard in front of his toddler. Yup, you read correctly. I want to be a fly on the wall when this kid goes to pre-school and says that in front of his teacher for the first time. I truly feel very sad for this little, impressionable soul.
At what point in our civilized society did we cross the decency line in language usage?  I remember being in grade four and hearing my first ever swear word by the school bad-boy.  Yup, that was the only kid in my entire school who was dubbed that. After that granted, I did hear in on the school grounds a few more time but NEVER did I hear it out loud inside my school for all to hear.  Now it's common place in and out of the school walls. We didn't even dare back-talk to our teacher or we'd have the strap applied to our hands or if we were lucky,we'd only have to stand in the corner.
We have lost respect for one another when our language degenerates. I know whenever I hear in public words that are not for all ears, I automatically deduct some IQ points of said profaner. Trying to look "cool" or "grown-up" by using any foul language is actually juvenile. When I am out and about and there are elderly ladies or children around and some dolt is mouthing off, I go right up to them (much to my husband's chagrin) and let them know that they are crossing the line. I actually did this to a big, construction worker and I let him have it!  He was very apologetic and I believe little me terrified him. But it shouldn't have to be that way.
I truly pity the person who is the first to spout verbal garbage in front of my little grand-daughter. He or she better be pretty quick or they'll have the wrath of Grammy G.

No comments:

Post a Comment